Import and Export code
The first requirement before you start an import/ export business in India is to obtain an IEC. An IEC is necessary for import/export of goods. Full form of IEC Code is : “Importer Exporter Code “. To import or export in India, IEC Code is mandatory. No person or entity shall make any Import or Export without IEC Code Number.
IEC Code is a unique 10 digit code issued by DGFT – Director General of Foreign Trade , Ministry of Commerce, Government of India to Indian Companies.
Each Importer/Exporter shall be required to file importer/ exporter profile
An IEC number allotted to an applicant shall be valid for all its branches/divisions/units/factories as indicated in the format of IEC given in
The following categories of importers or exporters are exempted from obtaining Importer – Exporter Code (IEC) number:
- Ministries/Departments of the Central or State Government
- Persons importing or exporting goods for personal use not connected with trade or manufacture or agriculture.
- Persons importing/exporting goods from/to Nepal provided the CIF value of a single consignment does not exceed Indian Rs.25,000.
Persons importing/exporting goods from/to Myanmar through Indo-Myanmar border areas provided the CIF value of a single consignment does not exceed Indian Rs.25,000.
Process For IEC
An application for grant of IEC number shall be made by the Registered/Head Office of the applicant and apply to the nearest Regional Authority of Directorate General Foreign Trade, the Registered office in case of company and Head office in case of others, falls in the ‘AayaatNiryaat Form – ANF2A’ and shall be accompanied by documents prescribed therein. In case of STPI/ EHTP/ BTP units, the Regional Offices of the DGFT having jurisdiction over the district in which the Registered/ Head Office of the STPI unit is located shall issue or amend the IECs.
Only one IEC would be issued against a single PAN number. Any proprietor can have only one IEC number and in case there are more than one IECs allotted to a proprietor, the same may be surrendered to the Regional Office for cancellation.
Fee For IEC Code Number
- Application Fee : Rs 500.00
- Mode of Payment
: In Demand Draft of any Bank or Payment through EFT ( Electronic Fund Transfer by Nominated Bank by DGFT Like HDFC Bank, ICICI Bank, State Bank of India, UTI Bank, Punjab National Bank, Central Bank etc) or Application fee can deposited by TR6 Challan with Duplicate Copy in any branch of Central Bank of India and TR6 Challan need to be submit along with IEC Code Application.
Mandatory Requirements and Check list documents to apply for IEC Code Number
- PAN Number
- Current Bank Account
- Bankers Certificate
- IEC Code Number
- Application Fee
(Expert TIP : Pay via EFT (Electronic Fund Transfer ), and submit IEC Online Application form, If you wish to receive IEC Number instantly)
- Company structure / nature of concern (PLC, PVT LTD, Partnership, etc.)
- List of Partners/ Directors
- Memorandum and Articles of Association
- 4 Passport Size Photographs
- 2 Company’s Letter heads
- Type of Exporter
- 12. Certified copy of board resolution granting approval for submitting application for IEC
A copy of Certificate of Incorporation, Memorandum and Articles of Association; duly certified by a director under company’s stamp.
- If there is any change in directors from the date of incorporation then a copy of form 32 filed with the registrar of companies will need to be submitted. This also needs to be certified by a director of the company under company’s stamp.
- The physical application containing required documents should reach DGFT RLA concerned within 15 days of its online submission.
- E-mail is not mandatory. If it is provided it will facilitate faster communication.
- Each Importer/Exporter shall be required to file importer/ exporter profile
- Covering Letter on your company’s letter head for issue of new IEC Code Number.
- Two copies of the application in prescribed format
- Rs 250.00 Bank Receipt (in duplicate)/Demand Draft/EFT details evidencing payment of application fee in terms of
- Self addresses envelope with Rs.25/- postal stamp for delivery of IEC certificate by registered post or challan/DD of Rs.100/- for speed post